You have probably heard many interesting facts about cats like they have more bones than humans; they can feel with their whiskers, their urine glows in the dark, etc. Here are a few more interesting facts about your cool felines.
- What’s in a name: A group of cats is called a Clowder, a male cat is called a Tom, a female cat is called a Molly or Queen while young cats are called Kittens and a group of kittens is called a Kindle.
- Snoozing beauties: If you love to sleep for extended hours, here’s competition. Cats conserve energy by sleeping for an average of 13 to14 hours a day. At this rate, a 15 years old cat must have slept for 10 years!
- Sounds for you: A cat rarely meows at another cat…she uses this ability for communicating with humans.
- No sweats: Cats cannot sweat because they do not have sweat glands.
- Dining etiquettes: Ever wondered why your cat eats from clean bowl only? Cats are very meticulous…they like routine…a quiet spot, same time, same place to eat and the bowl clean without any traces of previous meal.
- Not just nose to smell: Besides smelling with their nose, cats can smell with an additional organ called the Jacobson’s organ, located in the upper surface of the mouth.
- No trails behind: Even Sherlock Holmes would be left behind with his head scratching! Cats can be lethal hunters and very sneaky. They can walk their back paws step almost exactly in the same place as the front paws, which keeps noise to a minimum and limits visible tracks.
- Natural pain killers: Cats have an amazing tolerance for pain because they are blessed with endorphins or pain killers.
- Cat with a family: Lion is the only social cat who lives in groups, called prides and has a family life, just like you and me!
- Pseudo-hunting pleasure: Have you ever seen your kitty looking at the bird and then chattering her teeth? This is because she is doing the vacuum activity, where she is performing the killing bite, even though the prey is not in her mouth.